Regenerate 2018 | Bread Camp
Saturday, October 20 – Sunday, October 21, 2018 | London, Ontario
Bread Camp is educating and connecting growers, millers, bakers, chefs and consumers who are creating a rise in demand for local grains. This program will increase a baker’s capacity to procure and utilize regionally grown whole grains to help build and develop the regional foodshed.
Audience: Chefs, Bakers, and those with interest in baking who want to gain more knowledge in the versatility of using grains.
Workshop topics include:
- Learn how a region is building its specialty grain foodshed from farmer to baker to consumer
- Compare commodity grains and specialty grains in baking and pastry applications
- Utilize whole and processed specialty grains in baking and pastry applications
- Utilize honey in baking and pastry applications
- Learn how a professional bakery, Publican Quality Bread, markets its products
- Hear how a farmer and baker collaboration is created
- Work with a wood burning oven
- Define heritage grains and fermentation
- Discuss nutrition of whole grains and fermentation
Saturday, October 20, 2018 | 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM | Product Workshops
Sunday, October 21,
Location: Growing Chefs Headquarters 460 King St, London, ON, N6B1S9
- Hands-on instruction by 2 time James Beard Baking Finalist
- Lunch is provided both days of bread camp
- Bread Camp Swag
- 1 Ticket to Local ingredient Craft Beer Festival happening at London Brewing
- Take home baking foundations book with 13 bread recipes created by Greg for Publican Quality Bread you can use & build upon in your journey
Cost: $299/person for 2 days of bread camp programing.
Milwaukee born and bred, Greg Wade grew up baking with his mother and grandmother, but it wasn’t until he took a baking class at The Illinois Institute of Art’s Culinary Program that he found his calling. As Publican Quality Bread’s Head Baker, Wade oversees the bread program for all of One Off Hospitality Group, with a focus on local farm whole grains and natural fermentation. At Publican Quality Bread, Wade received a nomination and was a finalist for the Outstanding Baker category of the James Beard Awards in 2017 & 2018.
On graduation from culinary school, he worked at Taxim, specializing in breads and pastries. From there, Greg joined the opening team at Girl & the Goat in 2010. He excelled under Chef Stephanie Izard’s tutelage, and in 2013, he moved to Little Goat to oversee bread baking at Girl & the Goat, Little Goat and Little Goat French Market. Now at the helm of Publican Quality Bread’s bakery operations, Greg works hand in hand with the company’s chef de cuisines to develop new bread’s to fit each restaurant’s menu.